Friday, April 17, 2009

Monte Irvin TTM Success

Date sent: 3/17/09
Date returned: 4/16/09

Monte Irvin is the third oldest living Baseball Hall of Famer. He turned 90 years old in February. Irvin played 7 years in the Negro Leagues sandwiched around 3 years he served in the military during WWII. He entered the major leagues in 1949 as a 30 year old "rookie" with the New York Giants. Two years later, in 1951, he played his first full season in the majors. He batted .312 with 24 home runs and 121 RBI. He finished third in the MVP voting that year. Irvin played 8 years in the majors before retiring at the age of 37 as a member of the Chicago Cubs. He finished with a lifetime .293 average in the majors.

Irvin requests a $10 fee per signed card. This is quite a bargain to me considering he's a Hall of Famer. He's a great TTM signer, even in his 90th year.

I decided to send his 1953 Topps card as I think it's a great looking card. I may still pick up his 1951 Topps Red Back rookie and get that signed as well. That's a much harder card to find so I'll have to keep my eyes open for one on eBay that's affordable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites